Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mama Africa



Mama Africa, your children are calling once again
Surprised your back’s still bent after centuries past
I was told of you by our fathers past
How you’re devastated by whips on your back
How you’re humiliated with chains on your neck
I thought by now you would’ve recovered, but no!

Mama Africa, I ask, why is your back still bent?
They that caused it are still lurking
Lurking again with renewed vigor
Where’re your great warriors?
Those that fought for your liberation
Let them come with balms to sooth you

Mama Africa, when will your back be straight again?
Your masters came with new chains
And on your necks they hung with much tears
I hear of wars unending among you
I hear of child labor among you
I hear of terrorism among you

Mama Africa, because of your master’s whip your children weep  
And they refused to be consoled 
I see unending streams running down their cheeks
They wish to see your back up again
They wish to see the warrior you’re made of
I conjure you my mother to arise from your slumber

(c) (2013) By Success Kanayo Uchime, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment